Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Arrival and first impressions

Aselamu Aleikum everyone,

I am now finishing up my second day here in Morocco and wanted to update everyone. I flew out of Newark at 8pm on Monday, where I was informed that my one suitcase was too heavy, so I had to divide the weight between my carry on and my checked luggage and was told that British airways had no agreement with Royal Air Maroc, so I had to pick up my luggage and recheck it when I landed in Paris for my connection. After I arrived in Rabat I changed my money over to Moroccan Diram (1 US dollar= 8.14 MAD), and proceeded with attempting to bargain for the taxi that would take me to the hotel. After agreeing on 150MAD and placing my luggage in the taxi, another driver appeared and told my driver not to take less then 250MAD, after settling at 200MAD, we were off. Morocco thus far has been an interesting experience, as soon as you reach Moroccan airspace you know you have entered Africa as it looks incredibly different, the ground below you goes from being green, to red.

Traffic laws here either do not exist or are rarely enforced, you have manner of vehicles driving on the road, with two or three people packed on old motor bikes, and six people shoved into one small taxi, you also have pedestrians. Chickens and cats roam the streets and the smell of diesel hangs in the air.


A picture of the Rabat Market

While this might sound frightening, it's not. It is just different, a different culture, a different way of life. you have tall buildings sitting next to the old market where carts sell fruit.

This morning I sat down for the breakfast that was a flat fee of 50MAD, there were three rolls on the table, and the waiter brought me an egg and a glass of orange juice.
I sat there and waited for him to come back for my order, and as I continued to sit, and sit...I realized that I was just served my breakfast, three rolls, and an egg. A holdover from the French colonial period.

The rest of the IES students arrived today and we all went to dinner which was a great, good food, good music, and everyone is enjoying getting
to know each other.

We leave for Fez in the morning for 12 days and I will post again as soon as I get a feel for the city

Messa al Kher

Kevin

Arabic word of the day


Asleamu Aleikum السلام عليكم
Greeting- means peace be upon you

No comments:

Post a Comment