Tuesday, December 17, 2013

As we say here in Morocco....Safi

Asleamu Aleikum everyone,

The day has finally come, I leave in a couple of hours to start the long trek back to the United States of America.
If you are looking for pictures in this post, there are none. Simply my final thoughts before departing.

I remember coming here four months ago, I remember my fears and apprehensions, my family's fears and apprehensions. I remember the uneasy feeling of traveling alone, being responsible for yourself. I remember looking out of that plane window and seeing the red dirt that makes up this continent. Seeing a donkey cart being pulled down a dusty road and men in "dresses" walking.

I remember stepping off the plane into the African heat, and thinking to myself "what am I doing".

Now four months later, I feel fears and apprehensions, I again feel the uneasy feeling of traveling to something new, and while I am not on my way to a country moved by donkeys, I am a little nervous for what awaits me.

The fact is that I spent 19 years and 8 months of my life in the United States, and I am proudly American. I love my country, I love the culture, and I love my freedom.

But I would be kidding myself if I pretended like Morocco has not changed me. I am simply not ready to leave. I will miss the constant input that my brain receives. The noises, the sounds, the languages it absorbs, even some of the smells.
I will miss the cats, I will miss "it takes a village to raise a child" mentality, the impromptu soccer games in the street. I will miss the warm days ( I will not miss the cold unheated nights). I will miss living in a walled city where the grocery store is still a market, where chicken is still living when you buy it, and friends are made by simply saying hello.

I will miss the Arabic language, I will the bargaining for everything, I will miss the unregulated way of life that is so foreign American culture.

I will miss the sitting around and drinking tea, I will miss the couscous and I will miss the milawi. I will miss my egg sandwich guy.

I will miss the sayings of this country, the sayings that convey true emotion
Bisharaha- To your health
La Shokrun Ala Wajeb- Do not thank me, for what is my duty

But most of all I will miss some of the sincerest people I have ever met. I love this country, and I love these people. And while sometimes it is not easy, you adapt to the uneasiness, and eventually you begin to love it.

I have now lived four months without regular access to internet, there is no 3G here. I have proven that I do not need a cell phone at all times. Sometimes even toilet paper is a luxury in this country, but I would not trade this experience for the world.

To those thinking about studying Abroad. Do it.
Go for a semester, Better yet, go for a year. Go for two years.
I have been to numerous countries, seen some of the worlds greatest sites, climbed one of the worlds tallest mountains, and met people who have impacted me forever.

I honestly am a little nervous to go back, these four months have been a blessing, truly a blessing.

On another note I am thrilled to see the people I love, I miss my family and my friends, I miss my dog. I miss my truck and being outside in America. I miss seasons and I miss American food, Mexican food, Chinese food. I might even miss school a little bit.

And as happy as I am to be going back, part of me is still sad.

I want to thank all of you who have read this blog for the last four months. I want to thank the 27 students who were on this program with me who taught me so much, and provided culture shock within itself.

Most of all I want to thank my parents, for all the support they have provided both before and during my trip.

Morocco will always be apart of me, and I am sure I will return, hopefully very soon, Inshallah.

I will try and post one more blog about my readjustment back in America.

See you in less then 24 hours America,

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment